Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Shackleton Shackleton Shackleton


Hello to my little fwends!

I bet you want to know what I've been up to...

Assuredly, you are assuming I'm on wild adventures, galavanting with kings and queens, taking trips to the upper atmosphere and exploring the marianas trench... well no.

The answer is school. I'm being forced to read, at grade point, about an explorer who went to the Antarctic to reach the South Pole. He made three attempts and never reached it. What he is famous for is on his third attempt, getting stuck. Whoopie... well, I have to read this book to learn about leadership. Seems strange, but I guess this guy is admired because he and his crew were stuck for two years and none of them died. Nice story... but the admiration for this fella is over the top. It's like he invented leadership in the eyes of the author. There are actually institutes dedicated to his teachings... I should get an award for having to move my eyes over the words in this book. I should get an institute named after me for surviving this tortuous undertaking.

Well, that's where I am, in a literary wasteland.

5 comments:

kew said...

Watch the movie, instead, and say you read the book.

gravy said...

Yeah... the assignment wasn't so much about the history but the leadership skills displayed to keep the group alive through that ordeal.

Too late, it has been read and I have been Shackleton Shackleton Shackleton-ed.

WordsOnSounds said...

I was a little underwhelmed with that class. I didn't apply much to the folks I supervise, anyway. It's an unusual environment here as libraries go.

WordsOnSounds said...

PS, interesting news trivia: some of Shackleton's booze stash from the 1909 expedition was re-discovered last year:

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/shackletons-whiskey-found-buried-near-south-pole/19347440

gravy said...

Interesting statistic from class. About 20% of the candidates had heard of Shackleton before reading the book. About 80% had heard about the old whiskey stash in Antarctica.