Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First Ride and a Weighty Disclosure


I finally got out for my first ride outdoors on Monday. The Surly and I headed down the hill from my house to get on the bike path towards downtown - the paths are fine except where you have to cross streets - lots of snow in those places. I have been riding the trainer in my basement 2-3 times a week, but there is no substitute for riding outside with hills, wind, temperature, etc. all affecting performance. I was surprised at how slow I felt. I think I know why.


When I got married 25 years ago, I weighed 175. About 5 years ago, I weighed a lifetime high of 206. Diabetes took me down to 155 before the meds kicked in, causing weight gain. I was able to hold steady for a year or so at about 165-170. Just after Christmas this year, however, I weighed in at 183. Too much good food, not enough exercise. That is going to change.

To motivate me and to keep me honest, until I get down to my goal weight of 165, I am going to post regular updates on what I weigh and what I am doing for exercise. I may even post what I am eating. This blog is going to become a virtual version of Wii Fit. To keep this from becoming to self involved, I invite anybody else who has similar goals to do the same - either by posting or writing something in the comments.

So here is my first report:

Monday, January 18
Weight - 180.5
Exercise - 45 minute bike ride on city paths

8 comments:

nicol said...

You are better than me to have even been doing the trainer in your house. I am jealous. We're all slow right now. It's the weather.

gravy said...

Thursday, Jan 21st
Weight - 187
Exercise - 45 minute commute, so slippage to report
Lunch - whole wheat bagel w/natural pb, fuji apple and nature valley g-bar.

nicol said...

Well, you won't catch me postin' my weight on here.

da terminator said...

Today is National Hugging Day
http://www.nationalhuggingday.com/

I think we should all go nominate Gravy as the Most Huggable!

Bob K said...

Nicol, you don't have to post your weight, just how much you lose.

Da Term, I meant to nominate Gravy as most huggable, but accidently typed his name in where you nominate the biggest whiners.

da terminator said...

I did the same thing Bob, but mine wasn't on accident!

gravy said...

Hug a slug like a bug in a rug, y'alls!

Bob K said...

Shhh, I was just pretending it was an accident.